This Bourbon Chocolate Walnut Pecan Pie is perfect for this Thanksgiving/Christmas/Holiday season!
Before we get too far… the correct way to pronounce this nut is Puh-cahn. Not PEE-can or Puh-can. It isn’t a porta-potty. No pee cans here.
Anywhoooo. Now that that is cleared up. I grew up in Texas and pecan pie was a staple at every holiday meal, BBQ joint, grocery store, etc. It is by far my favorite pie. No other pie comes even close. With that being said, there is a right way and a wrong way to make a pecan pie. In my house we like the sugar layer by itself and not contaminated with nuts. It is good on its own and shines by itself. The top layer is where your crunchy bits are.
In my recipe, I decided to combine pecans, walnuts, and chocolate chips with a very special ingredient in the sugar layer: BOURBON. Bourbon gives this recipe the extra kick that separates it from a normal pecan pie. I added walnuts because I love walnuts. However, if that is not your cup of tea, double the pecans and omit the walnuts. The chocolate chips are there to give a more silky bittersweet flavor that compliments the nuts.
This really is delicious. For the best results, serve warm with a big scoop of Blue Bell ice cream (or any vanilla ice cream). Enjoy!
Bourbon Chocolate Walnut Pecan Pie
- Pie Dish
- 1 regular pie crust use your favorite brand or recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 3/4 C light corn syrup
- 1/4 C salted butter melted
- 1-2 T bourbon can omit
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 C semi sweet chocolate chips I used Ghirardelli
- 1/2 C pecans I prefer whole
- 1/2 C walnuts I prefer whole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray pie dish with Pam and set aside.
- If you are making your pie crust, make it now. Roll it out and put it in the pie dish. Make sure dough is in the dish well (no gaps).
- If you have pie weights use them... Bake crust for 10 minutes, just to get an initial bake.
- At the same time the pie crust is baking, toast your nuts by placing them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and baking for 10 minutes.
- Combine eggs, butter, sugar, syrup, bourbon, and vanilla. Whisk well!
- Remove both the crust and nuts.
- Stir filling again well, and add to pie crust.
- Top with nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake with crust saver/foil for 40-50 minutes, or until pie is done. Enjoy!