I am one of those peculiar people that goes to Cheesecake Factory and doesn’t get the cheesecake. In fact, I order their strawberry shortcake. Something about stuffing my face with their delicious food followed by heavy cheesecake doesn’t do it for me. Instead, I pretend I am being healthy and choose the shortcake because it has fruit 😂.
Growing up my mom and I would make strawberry shortcake on the weekends, to use up any strawberries we had on the verge of going bad. We would usually use a Bisquick biscuit recipe, but it would just taste like slightly sugared bread and I prefer to waste my carbs on better sweets! I decided I wanted to come up with a recipe where my biscuit is more like shortcake! I hope you enjoy this!
- 1 lb strawberries sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for flouring surface
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp butter cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whip Cream
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a Tupperware or a gallon bag and refrigerate. This is key to get a juicy sweet strawberry topping.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt thoroughly in a bowl.
- Cut in cold butter until the mix is crumbly.
- Add heavy cream and buttermilk and combine (~30 seconds).
- Lightly flour your surface and place your dough on it.
- Roll dough out and fold. Repeat this process rolling out less thin each time. Do this until you have 1-inch-thick dough.
- Cut biscuits out of the dough (~4-6 oz).
- Place the biscuits on a non-stick baking sheet. The biscuits will rise so leave space between them.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until they are slightly browned.
- Take the biscuits out, slice them open, fill with whip cream and strawberry topping and ice cream on the side and ENJOY!