This Pheasant Pozole Verde is the perfect meal to warm your insides during these cold winter months.
This recipe has been something I have wanted to try since I started this page. When my husband and I lived in San Antonio, there was a yummy restaurant that served pozole verde during the winter and not the rest of the year. The restaurant ended up closing during covid and I was devastated. So, I needed to recreate the delicious meal as best I could and share it with everyone else.
This is a painless recipe that makes your pheasant super tender. It is packed with a ton of flavor. If you want your dish to be spicier, you can leave as much or as little seeds in your peppers as desired.
Make sure to remove all bbs from your meat. You don’t want anyone cracking a tooth.
This is sure to be a crowd pleaser. It is different from your typical chilis and stews and is so delicious,
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!!
Pheasant Pozole Verde
- Blender or food processor
- 2 lbs pheasant breasts and thigh
- 7 C chicken broth
- 2 tsp epazote leaves or 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 lb tomatillos husked and halved
- 1 large onion quartered
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 poblanos deseeded
- 1 jalapeño deseeded
- 2 serranoes deseeded
- 3/4 C cilantro
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 T olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 30 oz white hominy drained
- Place pheasant, chicken broth and epazote in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or until pheasant easily shreds from bone/tendon.
- Remove pheasant once cooked and set aside to cool. Optional: discard any fat in the broth. While pheasant cools, make the verde sauce.
- In a blender, add tomatillos, onion, garlic, poblanos, jalapeño, serranoes, cilantro, and oregano. Depending on blender size you may have to blend in batches. Pulse/Blend until coarsely chopped. Scrape sides as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add puree.
- Cook until the puree turns a dark green, 10-12 minutes.
- Shred the pheasant meat and add back into the slow cooker. Add puree. Add drained hominy. Mix until combined. Let cook on low until everything is hot.
- Serve with desired toppings. ENJOY!