I wanted an extra thick mac and cheese. I’m talking cheese pull, crispy top, noodles trapping cheese inside them… the whole nine yards. This recipe makes a casserole sized dish serving and let me tell you a secret, I ate the whole thing. Enjoy this deliciousness.
Mac & Cheese
- 32 oz pasta; choose your favorite noodle I used large macaroni because I wanted the noodle to capture some of the cheese in it
- 16 oz velveeta cut into small cubes
- 8 oz cream cheese cut into cubes
- 8 oz shredded cheese choose your favorite. I used gruyere*
- 1 stick salted butter 1/2 C
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 C half & half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta as box/bag directs. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour. Stir until combined.
- Add velveeta and cream cheese. Stir until melted and combined.
- Add half and half. Stir. Don’t worry, it will be very thick. Add seasonings. Mix well.
- Add sauce to drained pasta and mix well!
- Place Mac and cheese mixture in a large casserole dish (9x13). Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 min (until cheese melts). Broil on high until cheese gets browned/crispy (2-5 minutes). Watch closely.