With duck season all finished up, and the Super Bowl coming in less than a week, these Asian Duck Sliders are the perfect appetizer/meal!
I know a lot of people don’t like duck, which is crazy to me, but if you’re going to hunt ducks you need to eat them! Eating ducks doesn’t need to be scary and grinding it into a burger takes away the worry about cooking them medium or less.
Also, I’m a fan of using duck with Asian styles of cooking because of how common of a meat it is in their cuisine. Wild duck is different than the normal Peking duck you might find at your local Asian market.
Like any wild animal, compared to a farm raised animal, there is a lot of variety in the wild version. Removing the skin from the wild ducks should help to equalize the flavor for every duck.
With everything in the slider, the duck ended up tasting very reminiscent of the inside of a dumpling. Topping it with the daikon radishes and carrots, (it’s important give this enough time to pickle) slaw, and sriracha mayo was the perfect combination, but you can add whatever your heart desires!
Lastly, throw a little soy sauce, gyoza, and extra sriracha mayo on the side for your dipping pleasure. Let me know how this goes in the comments and enjoy!
Asian Duck Sliders
- 2.5 lbs duck breasts skinless
- 1 lb pork fat
- 24 Hawaiian Slider Buns
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2 T hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 T less sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 C panko add after marinating overnight
- 4 oz shredded cabbage
- 2 whole green onion stalks white and green
- A few T fresh chopped cilantro enough to be fragrant
- Dash of rice vinegar
- Dash of sesame oil
- Soy Sauce
- Extra Sriracha Mayo
- Make your daikon and let it pickle for multiple days (click on link in ingredients for recipe).
- Cut duck and pork fat into small cubes that will fit in your meat grinder and place into a freezer for ~10-30 minutes (depending how cold it already is).
- Grind the duck and pork fat through a fine plate in your LEM Big Bite Grinder.
- Mix your fat and duck together.
- Mix in all of your ingredients with the burger (except the panko).
- Cover your burger with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.
- Take your burger out and mix in the panko.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat and put a cast iron tray down.
- Form your burgers to the size of your slider buns.
- Grill ~5 minutes a side or until cooked all the way through (size of burger will affect time).
Cabbage Slaw Instructions
- Mix all cabbage slaw ingredients together.
- Dress your burger with the daikon, slaw, and sriracha mayo and than serve with gyoza sauce, soy sauce, and/or extra sriracha mayo and ENJOY!!