This Venison Italian Sausage White Pizza is a delicious way to use your venison!
I’ve been wanting to make wild game pizza FOREVER!! I was hoping I would get sent a free pizza oven, because I’m poor lol, but my husband surprised me with one for my birthday. It’s been everything I wanted and more and if you’ve been on the fence about buying one, I would say do it!
Making your own pizza at home is good, but a regular oven can only get you so far. Going to your favorite pizza place and getting the perfect pizza with the leoparding on the crust always shows you the difference. Leoparding is the little charred black bubbles on the crust you don’t get at pizza hut, papa johns, dominos, or your home oven. To get this you need a pizza oven that gets really hot. My pizza oven gets up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit, which will get you those delicious black bubbles, and cooks the pizza in ~2 minutes.
Furthermore, I’ve been dying to put my venison Italian sausage recipe onto some pizza. And when I think about sausage pizza I think of peppers and onions! Plus, I thought a little homemade white sauce would work better than your average marinara pizza sauce.
It turning out great! By far the hardest part is getting the dough all ready and shaped like an actual circle instead of amoeba like creature lol.
I had a couple people on my Instagram say they’d be interested in more of a rundown on how my pizza oven works. If you’d also be interested in that leave a comment down below, and if you enjoy making this pizza leave a review in the comments. I’ll have more pizza recipes coming in the coming weeks, but in the meantime ENJOY this one and whatever your mind thinks of!
Venison Italian Sausage White Pizza
- Pizza oven
- 2 pizza dough balls make beforehand
- cornmeal for moving pizza
- 1/2 lb venison Italian Sausage browned
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cored and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper cored and sliced
- olive oil enough to brown the vegetables
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 C whole milk
- 2 T all-purpose flour and extra for workstation
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 heaping C shredded parmesan cheese
- 16 oz shredded mozzarella
- Melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and continue stirring for ~1-2 minutes not letting it brown.
- Slowly add in your milk until smooth and thick
- Stir in your salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic.
- Add your parmesan cheese and stir for another ~30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Preheat your pizza oven. Mine takes ~20-30 minutes to get up to temperature.
- Sauté your vegetables in a pan over medium with some olive oil.
- Cook until softened and with a slight char.
- Place a mixture of cornmeal and flour on your workstation for the bottom of your pizza.
- Take your dough ball and stretch into the shape of a circle. This takes some practice and there are many videos on YouTube for reference! Also, an amoeba shaped pizza tastes just as good as a circle!
- Ladle on your sauce (you can reheat it if it's too solid) and top with enough shredded mozzarella to cover your pizza, but not piled incredibly high.
- Finally top with your browned Italian sausage and sautéed vegetables.
- Place some more cornmeal onto your pizza peel and then move your pizza onto your peel. If your pizza has enough cornmeal or flour it should slide onto the peel (again watch videos on YouTube for help).
- Put your peel into the oven and slowly shake the pizza forward and backwards before quickly pulling the peel away (YouTube).
- Cook for ~30-45 seconds and then pull the pizza out.
- Turn the pizza 180° and put back in for ~20-30 more seconds.
- Take out again and if there are any parts of the pizza you want cooked more turn that part to the heat source and place back in the oven for ~5-10 seconds.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Slice and ENJOY!