These Krystal Elk Sliders are my copycat recipe to one of my favorite fast-food burgers.
I love sliders! My mom used to feed me those white castle sliders you could buy frozen from the grocery store, and I loved them.
I tried Krystal’s for the first time in Florida with my husband’s family. I didn’t have the best of hopes for it because I pictured it as greasy college fast food. My husband had recounted trips in college where him and his buddies would have contests to see who would eat the most lol.
To my surprise it was delicious! I don’t know if the cooks in the back were just having a good day, but the buns were soft, the cheese was melted perfectly, and the pickles, onions, and mustard were at the perfect ratio. I may have eaten a weeks worth of calories that day, but I loved every second of it.
Now that I have adequately described my love of sliders, you understand why I made these copycat Krystal Elk Sliders.
Overall, this recipe is a normal burger recipe, but the way I make the meat thin is a little different. I put the elk burger meat in between two pieces of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to flatten the meat out. I also cook the burgers in the oven, but you could cook it on a grill.
These went fast in my family, so doubling the recipe might be necessary to feed a big hungry family. Let me know in the comments how this recipe goes and ENJOY!
Krystal Elk Sliders
- 1-1.25 lb ground elk
- 1 small onion finely chopped (I used a food processor)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp beef bouillon
- 1 stick salted butter
- sliced pickles
- American cheese
- 12 Martin's Potato roll sliders
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 2T butter over medium high heat in a pan.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Butter (~1T) a small cookie sheet.
- Put your meat between two parchment sheets and roll until thin. Cut into squares the size of your sliders.
- Put your meat on the cookie sheet and cook in oven for 10 minutes or until done.
- Remove the patties from the cookie sheet.
- Butter a casserole dish. Place the bottoms of the sliders in the casserole dish. Place meat, cheese, pickles, onions, and mustard on the sliders and top with the top half of the sliders.
- In order to create the squashed look, melt your remaining butter and butter the tops of your sliders. Cover with a sheet of parchment and place another casserole dish on top or something heavy that is oven safe to squash the burgers down.
- Bake for 5 minutes. ENJOY!