When I think of a southern appetizer, there are few things quite as ubiquitous as fried green tomatoes! I love fried green tomatoes. They especially go great on sandwiches and burgers. Don’t be afraid to throw these on anything they really are delicious!
Fried Green Tomatoes
I wouldn't be a good Southerner without a fried green tomato recipe now would I??
Servings: 3 tomatoes sliced
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 3-4 green tomatoes cut into ~¼ inch thick slices
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1.5 T Cajun seasoning I used Tony Chachere’s
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 T Buttermilk
- 1.5 tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 3/4 C yellow cornmeal
- Salt to sprinkle with after frying
- In a deep frying pan, add 1-1.5 inches of vegetable oil. Fix a candy thermometer to the edge (in the oil but not touching the bottom of the pan) and set heat to medium. Oil needs to reach 375°F before frying.
- Lay tomato slices in a single layer on double layered paper towel and pat dry. Let rest while mixing ingredients. This will remove excess moisture and will help the flour mixture stay on when frying.
- In a shallow dish (like a pie dish), add ½ cup flour.
- On a second dish, mix together remaining ½ cup flour, cornmeal, Cajun seasoning, and pepper until blended.
- In a third shallow dish, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and hot sauce.
- In batches of 4 (in order to keep egg mixture from seeping into cornmeal/flour mixture), dredge tomato slices first in the plain flour, then into egg wash then finally into seasoned flour-cornmeal coating. Gently press breading onto tomato slices.
- When oil is to temperature, fry 4 slices to avoid over crowding the pan.
- Fry for 2-2.5 minutes per side, gently turning with tongs until golden.
- Remove from oil using tongs and place on a paper towel lined platter to remove excess oil. Do not stack. Season with salt. Enjoy.