Take a culinary trip to the heart of Minnesota with this scrumptious Venison Tatertot Hot Dish. This casserole is a comforting ensemble of savory venison, crispy tater tots, and a creamy, flavorful base that gets a delightful kick from a special ingredient – spicy ketchup. It’s an inviting dish that promises warmth and satisfaction in every bite.
In my kitchen, simplicity meets zest as I venture to create a hot dish that not only honors a Minnesotan classic but gives a nod to the hunter’s bounty. The venison brings a rich, gamey flavor that pairs excellently with the mixed veggies and creamy mushroom garlic soup. And oh, the tatertots! They add a delightful crunch and a playful note to this comforting meal.
This recipe is forgiving and flexible, allowing you to raid your freezer and pantry to create a dish that’s both easy and delicious. Whether you prefer a different mix of veggies or a different “cream of” soup, feel free to make this dish your own. And the cheese, oh the melted, bubbly cheese, brings it all together into a comforting meal that’s sure to gather everyone around the table.
As you delve into making this Venison Tater tot Hot Dish, you’ll find the process to be straightforward and the result oh-so rewarding. It’s the kind of meal that brings hearty satisfaction on a cool evening, especially when shared with loved ones. So, gather your ingredients, and let’s embark on creating a dish that’s bound to become a family favorite!
Venison Tatertot Hot Dish
- 2 T oil any neutral oil will work
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- salt for seasoning
- pepper for seasoning
- 2-3 T ketchup I use Spicy Whataburger ketchup for extra zest
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 C frozen veggies pick your favorite! I use whatever is in my freezer, but my favorite is the green bean, corn, carrot mixture
- 3 cans cream of mushroom garlic soup any "cream of" soup will work... I like the garlic because it adds extra flavor
- 32 oz tatertots frozen- I set mine out when I start cooking so they can start to thaw
- 16 oz shredded cheese I like Colby Jack, but use whatever is in your freezer and don't be afraid to add more!
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, meat, salt and pepper and cook until browned. Season as desired.
- Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Add veggies and mix well. Add soup and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Place mixture in dish and spread evenly.
- Top with 1/2 of cheese.
- Top with tatertots.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Cook in the oven until cheese starts to brown and mixture is bubbling around edges. ENJOY!