Venison Barbacoa is a delicious way to use some venison roasts.
Living in San Antonio gives me access to a wide variety of tasty Mexican food. One meat I thoroughly enjoy is Barbacoa. Barbacoa is a stewed meat (usually beef) with some spices and chilies. I don’t think Barbacoa is the most flavorful of Mexican style meats. But it sure is tasty! Also, I think this preparation really brings out the flavor of the venison which I enjoyed.
This recipe only took me three times to get worked out. I tried one recipe with a front shoulder, one with a shank, and then lastly with a bottom and top roast together. Honestly any cut would work, but my final recipe was the best!
This is a super easy recipe! You blend some chilies, onions and garlic together. Then you throw everything into the crockpot and let it get to work. This should take ~8 hours, so I threw it in the crockpot in the morning and then I ate it for a late lunch, after I got back from church on Sunday.
You can turn this into tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, basically anything you could think of, and it will be delicious, but make sure to serve it with some BIG RED! Overall, this is a simple venison meal and should be a family pleaser. Let me know in the comments how it goes and ENJOY!
- 4 lbs venison roast I used two different rounds but you can use whatever you want
- 1 large onion halved
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 chile de arbol
- 2 guajillo chiles
- 1 T Mexican oregano dried
- 1/2 T cumin ground
- 3 bay leaves
- 7 black peppercorns
- 1 T salt salt meat as well, to taste
- Toast your garlic, chilies, and 1/2 of your onion. Your peppers should only take ~2 minutes while your onion and garlic might take a little bit longer ~3-6 minutes.
- Put your toasted ingredients in the blender together with your oregano, cumin, salt, and one cup of water. Blend well.
- Put your meat, marinade, bay leaves, and other 1/2 of your onion (sliced) into your crockpot.
- Set your crockpot on low and cook for ~8 hours or until done.
- Baste and flip meat every two hours until done.
- Shred meat when tender.