This Prickly Pear Jelly is next level superb.
I have never eaten anything like this jelly. I honestly don’t even quite know how to describe it. I have tried explaining it to my coworkers and the best I have been able to say is it tastes like candy. It is similar to those unmarked red lollipops that just taste like sugar and tartness.
This jelly is so unique and such a hit in this house that I have had to make two more trips around town scavenging for prickly pear tunas to make more jelly. I even plan on giving some out for Christmas. It is truly so good that I want to spread the joy of making it with others!
It is a fairly simple and straightforward recipe once you have your juice. If you have a canner, that is great, but you don’t need one as long as you have a pot big enough to boil your jars. The ingredient list is short. It does require a lot of sugar, but that is only to tone down some of the tart taste you get when using the juice by itself. This draws out the more fruity flavor and my oh my is it good! Enjoy!
Prickly Pear Jelly
- Mason Jars
- 2.5 C Prickly Pear Juice
- 3.5 T lemon juice
- 3.5 C sugar
- 1 box pectin
- water enough to boil mason jar**
- Bring juice to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan over high heat.
- Once boiling, add pectin and stir quickly for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and add lemon juice and sugar. Mix well.
- Return to a hard boil and stir for ~3 minutes or until the syrup becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam that formed while boiling.
- Once done, carefully fill a mason jar (I used a wide mouth funnel) and allow to cool. I let my jelly set up overnight.
- Cover and refrigerate (lasts around 2 weeks).
- If keeping in pantry:
- Boil enough water to cover your mason jar and lid. This will sterilize it. When jam is ready to be removed from heat, carefully remove mason jar and lid.
- Carefully pour jam into the mason jar (I used a wide mouth funnel).
- Place lid on and turn over the jar. Leave upside down for 10 minutes.
- This will seal the jam and allow you to store it in the pantry/counter/etc. I let my jelly set up overnight.
- Refrigerate after opening. Enjoy!