Is any other part of the country cold?? This Italian Sausage, Potato, and Spinach Soup should warm you right up on these cold January days!
I love soup. I think my favorite lunch is a soup, sandwich, and salad style meal. It’s also great as an appetizer or if it’s a hearty potato filled one, like this, I can just eat it for dinner.
This Italian Sausage, Potato, and Spinach Soup is a meal I have eaten for years. It is a tried-and-true recipe that I adapted to give more flavor and to use with my Venison Italian Sausage recipe. I’ve said it a couple times already, but if you haven’t tried my Venison Italian Sausage recipe yet you really should!
Furthermore, this is the type of meal that will flavor up with time. So, make a big ole pot of it and eat on it for a couple of days. Also, it’s an easier recipe to make. Your major steps are browning some onions and meat and boiling your potatoes. Not too bad! So during these chillier months do yourself a favor and throw this soup together and ENJOY!
Italian Sausage, Potato, and Spinach Soup
- 1 lb Venison Italian Sausage
- 1 onion diced
- 6 oz baby spinash roughly chopped
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb red potatoes diced
- 5 C chicken
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper plus extra to taste
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3/4 tsp oregano dried
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven and add onions. Cook until slightly browned.
- Add your Italian sausage to the onions and cook until browned. Make sure to crumble the sausage as you cook it and drain the excess fat at the end.
- Stir in your garlic and your seasonings. Add extra salt and pepper to taste if it needs it.
- Stir in chicken broth and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add your potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in your spinach until it begins to wilt, ~1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream until heated through, ~1 minute. Again season with salt and pepper to taste if it needs it.